Monday, August 01, 2005

The lurking menace of paper

I've just received an email at work, the following passage is merely an extract:

The inspection will look for things like excess paper on desks, floors,
shelves, etc. The rule seems to be, if it's clearly out temporarily as
part of a report or project, it's okay, but loose piles laying all over,
especially if they look like they're out long-term, will be written up.
There shouldn't be any paper on the floor, and what's out on desks and
shelves should be in neat piles, which are less susceptible to
ignition. The best places for papers are in cabinets drawers and boxes
(tips on boxes later this week), but this is also a great time to
dispose of unnecessary papers by recycling them.


Bearing in mind this is a non-smoking building, I'm curious as to what they think I would be doing in my office that would render un-piled paper a major ignition hazard. If I leave a bog-roll on my desk, does that constitute a temporary project or a long-term issue, and would my 'piles' be subject to further inspection?

Joking aside, this is a major pain in the arse. No self-respecting scientist would have a desk free of cryptic paper printouts, the funding agencies expect it. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is a further attempt by the government to hold back the progress on climate research. So far, Bush has already moved a load of our NASA cash so that everyone can go to Mars in ten years, and we've even started getting letters from Republican Senators questioning any of our findings they don't like the sound of.

The safety inspection is next week, and we've been promised a similar email every day until then. I cannot wait until tomorrow's installment of preposterous safety tips.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home