Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The faculty are all hounds

My advisor has recently been promoted to Full Professor, and now holds tenure. For those of you not in American academia that means she gets a bit of a pay rise, the key to the faculty khazi, and most importantly is pretty much guaranteed a job for life (or even beyond, if she gets an Emeritus position).

Obviously I congratulate her on her deserved good fortune, but being an ardent solipsist I also need to think about how this affects me. Life is, after all, All About Me. On the one hand, she has a bit more standing in the academic community, which can only be a good thing. On the other hand, she never needs to produce another piece of original research again, or haggle for any more funding. Since her funding is my sole source of (legal) income, I can't say that I'm not worried.

Scientists are like dogs. When they're young and fresh, they're all enthusiasm and energy so they can be forgiven the odd puddle on the carpet. As they get a bit older, say Associate Professor, they calm down a bit but still like to chase the odd stick that's thrown for them. Once they get tenure though, they just sit on their arse all day barking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home