Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Lessons learnt in Chicago

I was in Chicago last week, The Windy City. In fact it was no windier than any other city, which just goes to show the dangers of making overblown claims based on climatological data - a lesson some of the other scientists at the conference would have done well to heed.

I went down to Lake Michigan, but I didn't see any stiffs with concrete boots on float to the surface. You can say what you like about Capone and his ilk, but at least when they ditched someone in the lake they made a thorough job of it. They knew that if you have anything to hide in your professional life, you make sure that it doesn't later come bubbling to the surface. Judging by some of the claims being made at the conference, I think a few people may well live to rue not taking that piece of advice.

By the way, I'd like to commend the baggage handlers at Chicago Midway Airport. I packed almost nothing that was breakable, yet they still managed to root it out and break it. It suggests true commitment to the cause of anarchy when amongst all the hundreds of bags they have to deal with, someone still took the time to snap a razor and and toothbrush.

I propose that Chicago changes its moniker, from The Windy City to The Thorough City.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, fear, the great motivator. Did any of those said scientists comment on the Greenland glacial melt? The university will be under water by next semester...get out of there Will.

2:53 pm  
Blogger Captain Fastrousers said...

Fortunately, both of the establishments at which I attend are situated on high ground. Unlike the current US Administration, I like to take the long view.

If you want to hear some really well informed consideration of climate change, I recommend this (sound card required):

http://www.transbuddha.com/mediaHolder.php?id=1147

4:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for that enviro-news clip. ;)

2:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home