Monday, August 29, 2005

On some points, I have to agree with the conservatives

As everybody knows, American political opinions are highly polarised at the moment. Personally, I think the liberals have far more in common with the conservatives than anybody realises (both are for banning lots of things, both are a bunch of pathological reactionaries, and both would vote for an organ grinder's monkey if it was wearing the correct coloured rosette). Michael Moore, Fox News - sloppy journalism is sloppy journalism, whether it's on the right or left. If forced to adopt a side, however, I tend to go with the liberals, if only because they appear to feel no need for me to go to church.

Imagine my surprise then, when I found myself in the unenviable position of agreeing with a large body of neo-conservative views, whilst looking through Thankyoutony.com (the site where good, honest, God-fearing folk get to thank the British Prime Minister for his sterling support in Iraq). For example, one Florida resident asks:

Not bad for a Labour PM!

How you ever wound up in that party I'll never know


Gordon Brown is no doubt asking himself the same question. A grateful Missourian states that

'Although we like George Bush immensely, we always breathe a sigh of relief when you take the microphone!'

So does most of the English-speaking world. My particular favourite, however, remains

You should consider moving to Texas. Also, I absolutely love your Frosted Flakes cereal'

Although I am not a particular fan of frosted breakfast cereals (I'm more of an eggs-and-bacon man myself), I do wish that Tony Blair would move to Texas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home