Friday, August 05, 2005

You deserve everything you get

Over on a popular British climbing website, somebody (let's just call him 'Frank') has asked

I've got a bog standard silva compass and was wondering if i'll need to buy a localised version when i go over to the jura next week (to allow for any variations is magnetic north.

Yes Frank, of course you will need a different compass. In Switzerland, all the Nazi gold in Genevan bank vaults disrupts the magnetic field, and so north is a different direction. I'm generally a libertarian, but some people shouldn't be allowed to leave home without supervision, never mind go cavorting around the Alps like Julie Andrews in a fleece.

People posting uninformed crap on the internet is nothing unusual, but I get depressed when people can't even grasp the basics of my field. If this is the typical level of geophysical understanding in Britain, it's hardly surprising that so much of my day gets spent trying to correct people who have swallowed the latest crackpot Climate Change theory on the BBC website. No wonder Junior Bush got away with denying the existence of global warming for so long. Frankly, if it wasn't for all the taxpayers money I get for doing climate research, I'd be inclined to let you all burn up, freeze to death and then drown.

4 Comments:

Blogger Captain Fastrousers said...

Hmm, I just read that through and it seems a bit agressive. Sorry about that people, work's going badly and I haven't had a drink for a few days. I don't really hope you all burn under a raging sun, freeze in an untempered winter and then drown in Kent.

Except for Frank, I still think he's a twat.

Anyway, just to show there's no hard feelings, I'll offer a free night on the piss to the stupidest science question - although you'll have to prove it was asked in earnest, not just being 'ironic'. I know what you college kids are like.

3:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Captain,

This isn't a question, but the ignorance is dumbfounding. My housemate came home the other day saying she'd learned something amazing that day: that the sun rises in the east. She's 26.

Women? Spatial awareness?

26!!

3:38 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aha! I once had a very aggressive argument with an ex because I laughed at her for the following question:
'Can I use silver foil in the oven - won't it catch light?'

I shit ye not - now, when do I get to claim my prize???

9:35 am  
Blogger Captain Fastrousers said...

Well done both of you, two fine examples of spectacular ignorance that surprised even me. ed, your story was good, very good, but for the moment I think andy r's tale of woeful imbecility just nips it.

Keep them coming folks.

4:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home