Wednesday, September 13, 2006

I have the serenity of a Buddhist monk

Protagonist?!?!? You make it sound like it's a bad thing....

So says mushroomcloud_2. She's wrong of course, I was merely making an observation, and had no intention of involving myself in pointless value judgements. As a scientist I am the model of objectivity, and therefore I am above such base concepts as 'good' and 'bad'. There is no 'good' or 'bad' in climate change, it just is. On the one hand millions starving in the predominately undeveloped tropics due to disruptions in the monsoon might be considered 'bad' if one was to take a subjective moralistic view, but then again sea level rise will wipe Florida off the map which I think is a fair exchange. Being subpoenaed by the senior Senator for Oklahoma to a McCarthy-style hearing and being accused of making up climate change to raise some research funds sounds bad, but on the other hand watching Jim Inhofe make a tit of himself in public as he tries to grapple with some High School physics makes it well worth the air fare. A Well-Known West-Coast University has no 'good' or 'bad' undergraduates, only the barely tolerable and the intensely irritating.

Good, bad, right, wrong, to me they're just meaningless comparatives. I am very much like the Dalai Lama in that respect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home