Monday, September 18, 2006

Nobody expects a Spanish Inquisition

I was only saying that the Islam isn't exactly the most liberal faith. I didn't expect a Spanish Inquisition - Pope Benedict XVI

Well, nobody expects a Spanish Inquisition, least of all the Holy Roman Pontiff. Historically, Pope's are more into the business of instigating religious holocausts (or in Benny's case just helping out). Personally I think that he's got a point - he quotes somebody else as saying that Islam is a faith of violence and hatred, and the moslem clerics call for his death. Quod erat demonstrandum, as they say in the Vatican bar.

I don't suppose that the majority of muslims are actually that intolerant at all, any more than the majority of christians give a stuff what that old fool in Rome says. When you get right down to it, this Pope vs Ayatollah situation is just a bunch of cloistered, celibate old men arguing vociferously over some really obscure and abstract ideas - much like a scientific conference, in fact. The only difference is that at a scientific meeting the PhD students don't start hacking at each other with swords every time their advisor's get into a minor but intensely personal disagreement. Not that that would necessarily be a bad thing, mind you. With my vicious nature and military training, I could probably eliminate a fair amount of my future academic competition before I've even finished my dissertation. Forget 'publish or perish' - science red in tooth and claw is the future.


Some muslims spreading their message of love and understanding

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home